Tuesday, December 4, 2007

This Is What Hit Me Like A Ton Of Bricks

I went to Costco with a girlfriend and our kids today. After the money was spent and the car was loaded I needed to take the cart to the cart return. I checked to make sure Claire was where she was supposed to be, which is holding onto the door handle when we are in the parking lot, she was waiting for me obediently. As I crossed to the other side of the row to return the cart the spirit whispered to me, "She's gonna run after you," I ignored it. I put the cart away and turned around. Just as I turned Claire dashed out in front of an old man driving a huge car. I screamed her name and she continued to run across. Seconds felt like hours, and my heart sunk. Someone else was watching over my child today, and obviously it was not me. The old man was not moving to fast so he had plenty of time to stop. But it was too close for comfort. I thought I was going to puke. Then I thought I was going to kill my kid. Then I was so grateful that her life had been spared. I was pretty shaken up, and cried on the way home. Claire and I talked about it later when I had calmed down. She asked, "Mommy why are you sad," I said, "Because Claire, I love you and I don't want you to die. Mommy was scared." I didn't know how to express to her my love and concern for her. Today someone was watching over me and my child. I am so grateful.

No comments: